1 EAGLETON NOTES: That's How It's Done!

.

.

Friday 12 August 2011

That's How It's Done!

Have you ever wondered how the farmers get the plastic sheeting round the hay rolls?  I admit that I've always had a fascination for the 'new' hay bales and have tried numerous photos without producing one which really satisfies me.  So when we left the Morven Gallery on the West side of Lewis a week or so ago and saw this scene I jumped at the chance.  Unfortunately the light was poor but I liked the result nevertheless.  However what really thrilled me (sad person that I am) was that for the first time I saw the machine that actually wrapped the bales in action.




6 comments:

  1. Good pictures, they look more photogenic than they usually turn out to be.
    Same machine that wraps luggage at the airport.........bit bigger maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is the same machine that shrinkwraps grocery store food...but also a bit bigger. Nice shots - particularly the top one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered about that! I'd not seen wrapped bales until this summer on the road. Actually hadn't seen round bales until this summer as well! What a sheltered life I've led...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you cute?! Actually, I wondered that, myself, and then was able to witness it a few years back when we lived on the farm.

    So...now that you know this - have you ever seen the great big ugly long rolls that would most likely fit 50 bales of hay?? Sometimes, the farmers are lazy and they don't mend the bale after covering it. They are very ugly that way, and messy looking as they pull the hay out and the plastic is laying all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen plenty of those wrapped hay rolls (not many about in town though) but strangely enough I don't think I ever wondered how they do it. I just always asked "why white"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that first shot! Quite picturesque! ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.