1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday or What?

.

.

Thursday 11 August 2011

Thankful Thursday or What?

I'm quite unashamedly plagiarising Jaz's post this morning.

I woke up and, having, grabbed my first cup of green tea (with lemon - very important!) I opened up the emails, Facebook, Twitter and the Blogs to see what was happening in the world.  The first thing I saw were the words 'Thankful Thursday or What?' and I thought 'Thursday!  Don't be silly.  It's never got round to Thursday again surely.  It was Sunday only a day or so ago.'  But, no, it really is Thursday.  What's more the torrential rain and strong wind and cold (9℃) of yesterday has given way to a beautiful sunny morning with and even stronger (Force 7) wind which makes the increased temperature (13℃) seem colder.  But hey ho c'est la vie.

Later:  Our dinner guest from last night - who stayed the night - has left and CJ and I are ready for our foray out into the world to shop and go to The Woodlands.

But this is Thankful Thursday.  Jaz pointed out the good fortune that she's had with her GP.  So I thought that I would re-iterate my thankfulness for the GP to whom I owe my life because he, like, Jaz's GP took me seriously.

Years ago I went to my GP (who now lives in New Zealand!) and said that I thought I had cancer.  I had no symptoms and no reason to believe that I had cancer and was really quite fit.  To cut a very long story short he took me seriously as did the Consultant despite all the tests prior to the biopsy being less than positive.  The result was that it was discovered that I did, indeed, have cancer and that it was far advanced.  The rest is history and I'm still here 13 years later to write this post.

So I want to follow Jaz in being very thankful for the medical profession in taking me seriously when they could well have taken me for a crank.

(Oh, and thanks to Jaz for the fact that I haven't had to spend ages deciding what new thing I'm thankful for this week!).

7 comments:

  1. We have a lot to thank modern medicine for really.
    I am thankful they saved you both...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an amazing instinct on your part as well it seems. Very glad that you were taken seriously! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intuition is a wonderful thing. Something else to be thankful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had a hat on, I'd take it off for them and you. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GPs take plenty of stick but the vast majority do a brilliant job. How would you like to have to decide whether someone was genuinely ill or in need of attention during a five minute slot when they appeared quite bright and breezey? Not a task I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for this, too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.