1 EAGLETON NOTES: I've Started So I'll Finish

.

.

Saturday 20 August 2011

I've Started So I'll Finish

Yesterday morning started off beautifully sunny but the forecast was for rain coming up from the South-west by lunchtime.  So we decided against Harris (will we ever get there in the sun before CJ goes home?) and made an early start for Tolsta which, by road, is only about 22 miles away on the other side of Broad Bay (and half that in a straight line - in which, despite the saying, crows do not generally fly). 

Traigh Mhor must rank amongst the most beautiful beaches in the Country for size and remoteness.  I am ashamed to say that although I have lived for the best part of four decades on this Island I had, until yesterday, only once walked the length of the beach.  CJ and I started off yesterday with a leisurely stroll at the Northern end exploring, for me, the coves where we and friends used to take our children for afternoon and picnics.  It is only seven miles from the original family home.

After a while strolling in bare feet (I've lived in New Zealand too long to wear shoes or even jandles on a beach) I found myself drawn towards the far end of the beach.  The going is quite difficult because the sand on that beach is quite soft even just on the tide line so if I wanted to walk at a reasonable pace there was a lot of energy to be expended.  There was something in my head, however, which would neither let me stop nor turn back.  What puzzled me when I was within about 4 or 500 yards of the cliffs was how they seemed to get further away every time I looked at them but my mind allowed me no choice so I kept going the one and a half miles until I reached the cliffs at the end.

Then I had the return journey.  I rarely go long walks these days whilst I'm on Lewis so this was a welcome experience and achievement.  It helped that there was no strong wind continually to make my eyes water nor to require a battle in order to proceed.  I must do it again.  I must!


The red dot to the left is the car park.  The blue dot is the furthest point of my walk
At the car park end of the beach - Northern end looking South-east
A cove at the northern end where we used to have picnics with the children over 30 years ago - it hasn't changed!

The river is a rich golden brown from the peat washed down from the hills

The coastline to the North is rugged and uninhabited between here and Ness
The sand was soft and made walking difficult
Looking back with only a few hundred metres to go to the furthest point

It seems a huge cliff - it IS a huge cliff!
Looking back from the furthest point of the walk - just a mile and a half back to the car!
Another little cove we used to picnic in with the children - at low tide!

12 comments:

  1. such loveliness! I especially like the waviness of the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should point out that I only ambled a small part of the way until GB became a very, very small dot in the distance. But we both enjoyed ourselves. Each to their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree is beautiful. We were there today but Luskentyre is still the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, Carol, we will see Harris and Luskentyre on Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful place GB..... Bet your muscles will complain 48 hours later!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot Fi! Much to my surprise they are OK today but tomorrow may be another day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful place! No better place to take kids, than on the beach. Such freedom, and they sleep really well that night!

    The thought about the cliffs seeming to get farther away, reminds me of Las Vegas on the strip. You think you're getting close, only to realize that the destination is still a long way away. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I wonder how your legs felt the day after that walk. I can imagine mine being sensitive, for sure. That really is a LONG walk, especially in the sand.

    It must have been quite refreshing though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh well done. I can't recall ever walking that far along a sandy beach - and barefoot at that. Your feet should be nice and smooth now - unless they got so rubbed down they got sore...! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - you must go back. Looks like a fabulous place, love those cliffs. Don't think I would have ploughed through that soft sand, but I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first and third images are very classy.......you have a useful texture in the fourth one. it is a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Carol Luskentyre can't compete! I've already told my family that I want half my ashes scattered at Traigh Mhor. So happy there, not only when our girls were wee but picnics when Danni and Chloe were wee. As an "alleged" grown up I love it more each time I visit. Soooo miss it.Lucky you Geeb.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.