1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Fascinating Face

.

.

Friday 30 July 2010

A Fascinating Face

DSC02589

One of the portraits in the Kelvingrove M & A Gallery is this one.  When I first saw the portrait I didn’t know who had painted it and thought that it was a reasonably recent work because the expression seemed fairly modern.  I was quite surprised, therefore, to find that it was painted by David Gauld one of the Glasgow Boys about whom I shall be blogging separately during the next week.  The date?  1895, over a century ago.  The more I think about it, though, the more I realise that I’ve been around for quite a while and a century is not quite as long ago as I imagine.  Sobering thought.

4 comments:

  1. That is a really amazing, beautiful, timeless portrait, and one that I would not mind having on my wall! I even like the frame!

    I totally agree it does not give an impression of being from the 19th century. You can't tell from her hairstyle or her dress or the background what time she belongs in; from that point of view it could very well be a more modern painting. I don't think that impression has anything at all to do with how long YOU have been around... ;)

    ... I can feel myself WANTING that painting... It calls to mind old films about clever art thefts from museums...

    Does the portrait have a name, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it too, Monica. It's simply called 'Portrait Head'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the lime sunshine in the background... That's unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right...it is fascinating.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.