1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Conundrum

.

.

Thursday 1 July 2010

A Conundrum

A few evening’s ago when a friend and I were having dinner I looked up to see a rock pigeon on a bird feeder.  I raised my arm and waved.  Despite the distance the pigeons are usually so aware of any movement that they fly off.  One did.  The rest followed suit.  Except for the one on the top of the feeder.  Puzzled, I went to see why.  I opened the study door and walked out.  The pigeon didn’t flinch.  That’s unheard of.  Then I realised that what I had thought was something in his beak was, in fact his beak.  And here’s the rub.  I would happily do away with the pigeons even though I abhor killing any creature (except wasps!) but I suddenly felt desperately sorry for this bird who was, presumably, beyond caring because, with a beak as damaged as that, she could not be far away from death.  Leastways I assume that to be the case.

DSC00877

3 comments:

  1. Poor thing :-( Still, it looks fully grown so hopefully that means it's able to feed by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this at your house? I seem to remember you had a poorly pigeon as companion for a while last year too. (Yes you did, I just checked.) Maybe the rumour has spread among pigeons where to go when in trouble... This man, they say, does not have it in his heart to be cruel to a sick bird...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Helen is right and that he can survive, poor guy. But I have to wonder where he stuck his beak for that to happen!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.