1 EAGLETON NOTES: Je suis arrivé

.

.

Thursday 8 July 2010

Je suis arrivé

A journey to see CJ and Jo usually takes me two days.  I leave Eagleton on the early morning ferry (that means getting up at 5am which I’m usually happy to do providing I don’t actually have to do it) and arrive on the mainland about 10am.  Then I have a 460 mile (740 km) drive through a combination of the wild Scottish Highlands and miles and miles of motorway.  Much of the motorway driving is both tedious and very full of traffic.  I don’t do the drive in one day these days because it is neither a pleasant experience nor, with the traffic, a safe one as I get towards the end of the journey and am tired and my concentration is lower.  So I usually leave the house in Eagleton at 6am on day 1 and arrive at CJ’s at 5pm the following day.  But I will have had an evening with friends on the way down.

Apart from a very brief period some years ago there have never been flights between Glasgow and Liverpool and the train takes for ever with one or two changes.  I recently discovered that there is now a flight from Stornoway to Liverpool advertised by Eastern Airways.  I couldn’t believe it.  I does go via Aberdeen but it only takes 3 hours.  So I can now do the journey in about 5 hours door to door.  In fact yesterday by the time I’d picked up the hire car and negotiated the Liverpool rush hour to get to the Wirral it took nearly 6 hours.  It did mean that I saw Wendy off on the morning plane to Edinburgh and then had the morning to pack and sort things out before Pat took me to the airport after lunch.  I was with CJ and Jo for dinner.

As Punch would have said “That’s the way to do it!”

8 comments:

  1. Have a great time with John and Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely...enjoy, enjoy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. A far more pleasant journey. Have a wonderful time with CJ and Jo, I'm sure it will be a brilliant "catch up" time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've arrived safely. I believe there's also now a flight from Stornaway to Exeter, but I think it only runs for a small period of the year.

    Have fun at Linghams (that's the only place I can guarantee that you'll be going!), xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I commented here earlier today but don't see any sign of it now? Well, glad anyway to hear that you've arrived. Wishing you all a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all.

    Yes, Helen, Flybe which operates the main services out of Stornoway operates out of Exeter and flights are available between the two.

    Monica, you commented on To The Shore earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Graham... that I remember... ;) I was just convinced that I put in a comment here too around the same time. Perhaps I missed the WV or something. Never mind - it's just that feeling (you know!): "But I'm sure I..."???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you've arrived safely and that the journey took much less time!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.