1 EAGLETON NOTES: Still Life

.

.

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Still Life

Despite having a few still life pictures on my walls I’ve not really been a lover of the genre nor, to be hones, ever taken much interest in it or bothered to find out much about it.  However Katherine’s blog has had a number of postings on the subject which have made me more aware.  Consequently when I was in the Kelvingrove M & A G I looked  more closely at some of the very many on display.  I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed comparing them and the various techniques and thought behind the composition.  I never cease to be amazed at the changes blogging is making to my life.

DSC02605 DSC02606 DSC02607 DSC02608 DSC02612 DSC02613

DSC02654  DSC02656

4 comments:

  1. Many of my mother's first paintings were of still life. I REALLY like the middle two that you have here, the third one best. It shares so much detail...even a story, I think. I like that one..yes, I do.

    Oh, hey...you may not have noticed all of the new members on the Soaring blog lately but there is one who moved to New Zealand from Scotland, once upon a time.

    Her blog's latest posting shares the weather looking a little like Spring there. Peek in at her at Our Wee Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I ever exactly took a 'special interest' in still life paintings but since I did take a few art classes (water colour) and practiced painting them, I know that can be tricky enough.
    The only one of these four artists well known to me is Matisse... But I was very interested to see a Peploe, because I had been meaning to look him up. His name keeps popping up in the Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith (which I've now read three of).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about art but I always know what I like. And I really like that last Peploe. That's so calm and beautiful, I could look at that all day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this snippet GB! They are lovely and clear. And I can see the texture. Which is, of course, what one misses out on with printed reproductions.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.