1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Rather Peculiar Sort of Day

.

.

Tuesday 13 May 2008

A Rather Peculiar Sort of Day

Today has been rather an odd sort of day. I thought that I'd share some of it with you. I'm not sure why but I think that if one believes that a trouble shared is a trouble halved then a trouble publicised to the world become pretty minute and insignificant. Least ways that's my 'reason' for penning this.

Yesterday I called in to the Surgery and picked up my PSA results. "They're quite normal" opined the receptionist "Less than 4.5". That's quite an accurate statement for the normal person but I've never claimed to be normal in any way and, in respect of PSA (Prostate Specific Antigens) having had cancer and my prostate removed, the reading should be zero. Modern (and by that I mean in the last year or so) thinking is that if the PSA count doubles in six months then that is considered serious enough to take action (in the form of radio or chemo or hormone therapy). My reading has gone from 1.4 to 4 in 3 months. The Consultant this morning decided that action was required. Exactly what will depend on the results of the MRI scan and tests and so on.

I also had the letter from the hospital with my appointment with the Orthopaedic Surgeon to see what's to be done about my dickie knee.

And I've had severe toothache since the visit to the dentist yesterday.

And Muriel at The Shrub Stall didn't have the hebes that I want for the garden.

And the weather vane I bought yesterday won't give the wind direction which is a fairly fundamental flaw.

So on the way home from The Shrub Stall I called at the garden centre to change the weather vane. This turned out to be a very expensive mistake. I'm not sure why but I decided to reverse into a small but perfectly formed blue VW Polo. Somehow my eyes saw it but my mind ignored my eyes. What then happened was quite remarkable.

I returned to the garden centre and asked those within earshot if anyone owned a blue Polo. A young lady with her boyfriend apologised embarrassingly profusely and said that she'd move it. Given that it was parked at the pavement in a place where it could not possibly have obstructed anyone this demonstrated considerable consideration (apologies for the alliteration) for her fellow humans. I eventually convinced her that I didn't want her to move but just to tell her that her car had a new, small but equally perfectly formed dent in the wing which had been caused by me - or rather by me bumping 1.5 tonnes of assorted metals and plastics etc into it.

What then transpired rather surprised me. Instead of being angry she and her boyfriend were full of gratitude. That someone should have stopped and actually admitted they had done such a thing was almost beyond their belief. The theme continued this evening when they apologised over and over for the fact that this was going to cost me £150.75 after they had received quotes. They gave me the telephone numbers and asked me to speak to the garages.

So I'll send her a cheque tomorrow with my apologies for causing her the inconvenience of having to get her car repaired. After all, in the scheme of things, that which is a huge matter to a young lady with what must be her first beautifully kept wee car is of absolutely no consequence to someone who has just been told that 'it's only a matter of time.... let's hope that there's a lot of it!'

As Andrew said "It's a funny old world Dad."

All in all I've had better days.

And it had better not interfere with my croquet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.