1 EAGLETON NOTES: The Peats

.

.

Thursday 29 May 2008

The Peats

Peat cutting for fuel has almost ceased in Lewis compared with even 30 years ago. However this year more peat is being cut than I have seen for many years. Perhaps after having paid £750 for a tank of oil this is not surprising. The cutting has been helped by the fabulous weather we have had for the last 5 or 6 weeks. Many of the peats cut have been taken in already. I remember many years ago (over 30 years ago in fact!!) when we were the first family in Coll to get our peats in. It was just before the end of May ie just about now. I still have my tarasgeir or peat iron. After all one never knows when.... One day I shall look out my old photos of our peat banks and the whole ritual. In the meantime here are a few photos from CJ and my trip across the Pentland Road yesterday. A more full exposition can be seen on CJ's blog at Barvas Moor.

The cut bank and the peats drying

Peats stacked ready for taking home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.