1 EAGLETON NOTES: Good Things

.

.

Friday 12 June 2009

Good Things

Some of you may have noticed that CJ and I often use capitals when we are are talking about Good Things and, in my case in particular, Bad Things. I thought that I would explain. What I had not noticed until I just mentioned it to CJ was that he started a blog entitled 103 Good Things on 1 June.

My first reading of 1066 And All That from whence the use comes is lost in the mists of time. The book was written 80 years ago: well before even my time on earth started!

It is a wonderful book which starts "The first date in English History is 55 B.C., in which year Julius Caesar (the memorable Roman Emperor) landed, like all other successful invaders of these islands, at Thanet. This was the Olden Days, when the Romans were top nation on account of their classical education, etc." How could anyone not enjoy such a book?

The first use of the phrase "Good Thing" is rather outdated by present standards of hygiene: "They occupied their time for two or three hundred years in building Roman roads and having Roman baths; this was called the Roman Occupation, and gave rise to the memorable Roman law, 'He who baths first baths fast,' which was a Good Thing, and still is." But that is only the first of very many wonderful references in the book.

And thus did a lifelong habit start.

1 comment:

  1. All I could think of was Martha Stewart and her "It's a Good Thing."
    :^)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.