1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Foggy Day

.

.

Monday 1 June 2009

A Foggy Day

I went to Glasgow today. Once upon a time in another incarnation it was something I did quite often. Now I usually do it as part of a longer trip away from the Island. I was due to leave at 0830 and return at 2100. But June is the month of potential fogs on Lewis surrounded as we are by sea. So this morning after three days of glorious sunshine I woke up to a thick mist enveloping the house. As I was up at 0600 and the plane wasn't due to take off until 0830 I wasn't too worried. In any case my appointment wasn't until lunchtime.

And so it was that I spent a morning at Stornoway Airport. As luck would have it there were quite a few people there from my previous incarnation and the period of nearly four hours until the plane took off passed in a flash of catching up with local news and acquaintances.

I arrived at my appointment with minutes to spare and immediately after it I set off for the return journey and spent an hour at Glasgow Airport catching up on the computer, drinking coffee and looking out of the window:

Half way acroos the Minch the Captain of the plane told us that Stornoway was again fogbound and that we might not be able to land. But good fortune smiled upon us and just as we arrived the fog parted and we landed. As I drove out of the airport it was again shrouded in fog.

Ah yes. It's been a Good Day. But as the fog rolls in over the headland this evening I am glad that I don't have to do it all again tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderfully Good! And, I too, am glad that you do not have to do this everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was I, sitting a couple of miles away enjoying the bright sunshine. It never occurred to me Stornoway was still covered in fog! Your Hebridean weather is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had the same problem coming from Shetland. Cruised around Kirkwall for half and hour before we could land to drop of and pick up passengers for Inverness. Glad you got home ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that all went well, however slow-going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never stop being amazed at the beauty that stands right under your kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.