1 EAGLETON NOTES: The Sunflower

.

.

Wednesday 20 August 2008

The Sunflower

I cannot recall seeing this sculpture when I was last at the Kelvingrove a few months ago. I'm sure that it must either have been in a different location or I was walking around with my eyes closed. When I saw it on Sunday afternoon (in a very prominent position I have to add) I was totally captivated. It is one of the most beautiful modern sculptures I can ever recall seeing.

The piece, entitled The Sunflower, Garden Piece about 1932 by Gilbert Ledward and carved in Portland Stone has a strong flavour of the 1930s with its simple shapes but it still has the appealing tendernss of the Madonna and Child. To me, however, the mother's facial expression is the embodyment of beauty and tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.