1 EAGLETON NOTES: Herring Girl

.

.

Friday 15 August 2008

Herring Girl

Years ago the herring ladies were not just a common sight in Stornoway but in many Scottish fishing towns and villages where the herring were landed and gutted and salted in barrels. Somewhere I have pictures which I took of Number 2 Pier in Stornoway covered in barrels of herring many years ago. Now the only 'herring girls' to be seen are in bronze round the harbour in the Town. When CJ was here I'm sure he did a posting on them but I was walking past this one on the Inner Harbour on Tuesday and decided that the light was so perfect that I had to take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.