1 EAGLETON NOTES: Feelgood Strawberry Pudding

.

.

Sunday 12 July 2009

Feelgood Strawberry Pudding

Last Sunday I made a Strawberry Pudding and later promised to give you the recipe. The recipe is simple enough but the timing is quite important because it should be lightly iced but not frozen solid when served.

Ingredients:

40 g (1 1/2 oz) Caster sugar
1/2 lemon
1 x 300ml pot double cream
250ml (9 fl oz) natural yoghurt
8 meringue nests
450g (1lb) strawberries

1. Line a 2lb loaf tin with cling film (glad wrap). Place the sugar in a saucepan. Add 30ml (2tbsp) water and the juice of half a lemon. Place over a medium heat and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Cool.

2. Whip the cream until it stands in peaks. Fold in yoghurt. Crush meringues into chunky pieces and add.

3. Place 300g (10 1/2 oz) strawberries into food processor. Add cooled syrup and blend until smooth to make a coulis.

4. Stir half the strawberry coulis into the cream mixture. Mix lightly, stirring to create marbled effect. Spoon into loaf tin, layering with the remaining strawberries. Place terrine in the freezer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

5 comments:

  1. VERY nice GB...seems simple! Yes, we will have to work at "translating" a little, as Heather has already questioned....
    but I think that Caster sugar is what we would call granulated sugar. (Yes, I just checked it on food-network and that is what it is, but it is called "super-fine" granulated sugar here in the U.S.)
    Also, I haven't seen the meringue nests in the stores around here, but it should not be difficult to find a separate recipe for them...I've made them before...just sugar and eggs-whites, I believe.
    Lovely!
    Thank you!
    Oh!
    Found my recipe for the meringues:
    2 egg whites
    pinch salt
    1/2 teaspoon vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Beat egg whites with salt, vinegar, and vanilla in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually ad the sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks. Use 2 teaspoons to form small puffs onto cookie sheet. Bake ten minutes. Cool and store in a tight-fitting container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, oh my - it looks as good as it tasted the last time you made it. Actually, I think it was the only time you have made it but I am greedily waiting for a repeat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! Anything made from pudding and berries must be. If I was prone to cooking, I'd whip one up right now, but as it is, I'll have to settle for some strawberry ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cynthia for the help there. I'm ashamed to say that I've never made meringues (I did try once years ago but they didn't turn out very well and I've bought the ever since).

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I do know what meringues are...we can find them in what is called "The Christmas Tree Shop"...a place that sells reasonably priced everythings...

    Quite tasty, they are. I didn't realize that "nests" were the same.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.