1 EAGLETON NOTES: What?

.

.

Tuesday 26 October 2010

What?

When Anna and I went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery to see the Glasgow Boys Exhibition - about which I have not yet blogged much to my shame - we also had coffee in the Gallery's restaurant.  On the table was a curious thing:


What, I wondered, was it?  Well the answer was a


Not the best piece of photography I'm afraid but I think you'll get the drift.  I would have got something a bit clearer from their website but it's down at the moment.   And actually I did wonder what had happened to good old service where a waiter caught your eye or whatever.  There was a bit of conflict in my brain, however, between the me that is the old and the Mr Gadget representing the new.  However it was all a bit academic on the day because I didn't get whatever it was that I'd ordered until after we'd finished our coffee and were just getting ready to leave.  By then I didn't want it and didn't have it.  So perhaps all the gadgets in the world don't necessarily provide good service after all.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty neat...or maybe not so much :) Technology can be great, WHEN working properly. I've not seen these but I also don't get out much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to sit at a table with one of those gadgets with the grandkids and let their little fingers go crazy! Guess the waiter would come and activate the button lock. I find it hard to believe that things such as this are meant to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With just ONE button it might have been efficient, but with all those options... it seems almost bound to all just get mixed up anyway...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.