1 EAGLETON NOTES: Culross Palace

.

.

Monday 18 October 2010

Culross Palace

A friend and I recently visited Culross Palace, a late 16th - early 17th century merchant's house in Culross, in Fife.   The palace (which was never a royal residence) or "Great Lodging" was constructed between 1597 and 1611.  The palace is now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland who have restored a model 17th century garden, complete with raised beds, a covered walkway and crushed shell paths.  The herbs, vegetables and fruit trees planted in the garden are those that would have been found in the early 17th century.

I was very saddened by the fact that the NTFS have a policy forbidding photography in their properties.   Their stated grounds are conservation (flash is said to be able to damage things!) but the NT in England has largely abandoned that policy except in special circumstances.  Presumably if flash is the problem flash photography could be forbidden.  With modern digital cameras it is largely unnecessary anyway.  




5 comments:

  1. Flash isn't the problem that should be concerning the NT. It's the blasted notices and fences they insist on besmirching their properties with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame you couldn't take photos inside. Not being able to take photos is a silly rule these days. I agree with Adrian. The signs and ropes spoil the outside photos. But is does look like a cool place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice building and pictures. Had I only seen that middle one I would never have associated it with Scotland, that bright yellow colour and the stairs etc makes me think of southern Europe. I agree about the photo policy, they could just forbid the flashlights and allow people to use their cameras without that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The East Neuk is my favourite place - when I want to feel happy I think of Crail in particular. But Culross comes a close second. I lived in Crail for a while many years ago - the buildings are so similar to those found in Culross. Apparently a strong Dutch trading influence is the cause (or that's what the locals told me)... Thanks for the beautiful photos Graham - I really appreciated them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks as if it is straight out of a fairytale.
    ;^)
    I love the baskets with the herbs.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.