1 EAGLETON NOTES: Not Too Far

.

.

Monday 29 September 2008

Not Too Far

Every day when I wake up I remember that I must never take my good fortune for granted.  Few people are blessed with having so many good friends and a lifestyle which is, for me, as good as it could be.  I was reminded of this particularly this morning when I realised that I only have 28 more sleeps before I leave for my other home in New Zealand.  I can no longer say, as I used to, my other life in New Zealand because the two lives have now melded into one and I simply live one life in two places.  To some extent that is because the world is not a large place from the point of view of communications with cheap telecommunication, mobile phones which link us wherever we are and broadband (at The Cottage, I wish!) which enables us to communicate daily as we please without regard for the time of day or night. 

I suppose I first realised the smallness of the world about 10 years ago when I was in the Australian outback and was able to speak to Mum every day just to find out how she was and reassure her that I was still in the land of the living.  And I was reminded again yesterday when my God-daughter, Lou, who was at the Grand Prix in Singapore, sent me a photo from her phone of the very race that we were both watching on different sides of the globe.

So when I leave Lewis for Napier on Monday 27 October I shall be happy and sad at the same time.  But I shall not be going far, just, unfortunately, too far to go to the Woodlands Centre for coffee.  

So in the next day or so, in addition to Eagleton Notes, I shall start to post on my blog A Hebridean in New Zealand.  I hope that you will join me there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.