1 EAGLETON NOTES: Les Anglais et Marmite et The Best of British

.

.

Monday 8 September 2008

Les Anglais et Marmite et The Best of British

Les Anglais en France are often accused of being too English and not adapting to the French way of life and one aspect of that is, of course, food. This is not helped by the fact that most of the areas of France where Les Anglais have colonies have a 'Best of British' shop where can be bought such delicacies as English Supemarket Bread (yes, really).

OK I'm being a bit sniffy and there's no reason why there shouldn't be such shops although most of the larger supermarkets have a British food section in these areas. Oddly enough one item missing from their shelves is English Supermarket Bread!

A blog on the subject of French food versus English food would be impractical because, even dealt with in the most cursory fashion, it couldn't be dealt with in less than a book. I think that it is true to say, though, that the French have a more 'natural' and far less sentimental approach to food; particularly meat. Although nowadays international cuisine is common traditional French food seems to prevail in the countryside.

On the other hand I cannot imagine being anywhere in the world without my

1 comment:

  1. My 'couldn't live without' would be peanut butter. I can even recall mt first taste of it when I went to Ian Rignold's house at the age of nine or ten!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.