1 EAGLETON NOTES: I Wake

.

.

Saturday 20 September 2008

I Wake

I wake.  It's neither dark nor light, night nor day.  It's nearly six o'clock. I've slept soundly for a whole five hours:  dreams but no nightmares.  Not that I remember anyway.  The smell of fresh bread permeates through to the bedroom.  I love the breadmaker: fresh bread on demand.  I cannot remember when I last rose and had to put the lights on.  I don't like lights in the morning.  It presages winter. It's raining.  It's windy.  I raise the blind and look out of the Study window.  I can only see perhaps a mile out to sea and then there's just rain.

Switch on the kettle.  Switch on the computers.  Visit the smallest room.  Actually the bathroom is not the smallest room in my house: at least two are smaller.  Put in the passwords.  Make Lady Grey. Return to the Study to find out what missives await me.  Two from New Zealand.  Two from CJ.  They are the important ones so far this morning.  Open up the blogs.   Only Rambles from my Chair has anything new.  

Music.  I can't decide what mood I'm in so I can't decide what music to play.  So I sort of decide on Khachaturian's Piano Concerto.  After a few minutes I realise that is a really silly choice for before 0700 on a Saturday morning.  Or any morning at that hour. So I spend five minutes casting around for something to match my mood.  Perhaps I can determine my mood by playing the music.  It doesn't work.   Elgar.  No something quiet.  Ah yes.  Silence.  No music.  That's the mood I'm in.  Should have realised that earlier.

What shall I plan for today?  My television should be returned this morning.  It went away for a small repair ("It'll take 3 or 4 days") five weeks ago.  It's Strictly Come Dancing this evening.  I do not want to be without the television.  Yes, there is a lot to do today.  How lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.