1 EAGLETON NOTES: Goodbye

.

.

Saturday 3 September 2011

Goodbye

Lunchtime, dinnertime in fact any time which is singularly inconvenient and the phone will ring with one of those sales or scam calls from abroad with a voice usually reminiscent of the Indian Sub-Continent.  I know they are from abroad because my phone either tells me it's an International or 'Unavailable' caller and I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service which cuts out any sales calls from the UK.

As soon as I hear the voice asking if I'm 'Grey ham Edwards' I cut the call (usually unless I'm feeling singularly mischievous or thrawn at that moment).  

I've just had an automated call getting its own back!

I lifted the receiver (actually that's an outdated term given that I press the green button on the handset rather than 'lift the receiver' as we used to do) and an automated voice said "Goodbye".

I hope it wasn't being prophetic: sort of Edward G Robinson in gangster mode telling me my fate.

It's a funny old world.

4 comments:

  1. Keep a good eye out for men with violin cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My morning chuckle. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the giggle. Needed that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brutal start to a call. Or to a blog post! (My first thought: NOW where is he off to?!)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.