1 EAGLETON NOTES: Cardoon

.

.

Monday 12 September 2011

Cardoon

The cardoon (Cynara cardunculus), also called the artichoke thistle, cardone, cardoni, carduni or cardi, is a thistle-like plant which is member of the aster family,Asteraceae; (or archaic: daisy family, Compositae). It is a naturally occurring variant of the same species as the globe artichoke, and has many cultivated varieties. It is native to the Mediterranean, where it was domesticated in ancient times.
 
I'm sure you had absolutely no interest whatsoever in knowing all that.  However when coming down from The Hunterian Art Gallery yesterday I saw these in a garden and couldn't resist a photo.


3 comments:

  1. They do look like artichokes (which, as far as I can recall, I have only eaten once in my life). Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE artichokes!!! I had three plants in my yard in Santa Cruz, CA! The ants also LOVE artichoke plants! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.