1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday: Neighbours

.

.

Thursday 9 June 2011

Thankful Thursday: Neighbours

I have many times in blogs and so on mentioned how wonderful it is to have good neighbours.  Well I'm lucky because I don't just have good neighbours, I have wonderful neighbours.  So what's brought this to mind in particular?  Quite a few things really.  Pat and Dave, friends who do so much for me, are neighbours albeit they are first and foremost friends. I could not wish for better and the list of their goodnesses is too long to catalogue.

My immediate neighbours are also friends and true Christians.  I say that because aside from professing their devout beliefs their actions demonstrate those beliefs.  

A few tangible examples.  During last winter when I was away and Lewis experienced much colder weather than is normal (it rarely goes below freezing at my house on the coast but last winter it managed nearly -10℃ (14℉)).  My outside tap connection burst.  My neighbour put a temporary sealing cap on it despite being unable to find the stop tap and turn off the water whilst he worked on it!  He then proceeded later to put new piping in.  That's just one of many kindnesses I've experienced.

In fact another neighbour several years ago saw that one of the windows in my garage had been broken in a severe gale (presumably something was blown into it) and came out in the gale and put a temporary boarding over the window.  I came home and decided that it was much safer with the new arrangement and it's still like that!

I could go on but I just wanted everyone to know how thankful I am for my neighbours.  I could not have better.

6 comments:

  1. Friendship is a two way highway. Where would I be without you, when my computer does a "funny" on me? Where would I be today, if I didn't have your laptop to work on whilst you are sorting out my computer, where would Kate be, if you hadn't come to her rescue when she was back-packing after university - the list is endless. You are a dear friend indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed lucky to have such good friends nearby. For a number of years I lived in the same apartment building as several people who were both friends and good neighbours. Some of them I know I could still ask for help with this or that in a crisis but it's not the same as when we lived next-door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say they are a Godsend, GB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posts like this just remind me I'm older than I used to be. My immediate reaction was - "I liked Durham Cathedral and thought it very pleasant". I then realised that my last visit was over forty years ago in the days when 'not doing' was restricted to anti-social things and taken for granted as being part of a common sense and responsible approach to going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you John. I am so glad that there is someone else who liked Durham Cathedral. I don't remember all the "do not" notices - but perhaps it was because my last visit was about 35 years ago. Perhaps I wont go again - better to remember it as it was without restrictions.

    Glad you will soon by up here. x

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.