1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Most Unusual War Memorial

.

.

Wednesday 22 June 2011

A Most Unusual War Memorial

Yesterday Anna, a visiting friend, and I went over to the Callanish Standing Stones because it was something she had wanted to do at the Summer Solstice.  This was not, I would add, for any of the ritualistic or other reasons that many had gathered to see the solstice at the Stones but simply something she wished to do. 

At Garynahine just before we arrived in Callanish I happened to notice behind some trees and shrubs what looked like a model of a Cormorant.  Having stopped the car and investigated I discovered a fairly new and very unusual War Memorial:





5 comments:

  1. Seems a little odd......not the memorial but incorporating birds and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take the fish to represent the sea and the bird the air. The first three seem to have been lost at sea. What does Springcorrie mean? Is it a name? Or a title of some kind? I tried to google it but did not end up any wiser.
    Did you get to actually also see the sun for the summer solstice? The Callanish stones would be on my priority list of places to visit on your islands as well. Actually after seeing your son's pictures of them I'd probably expect to feel the electricity in the air when approaching ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a 'must' for my next visit, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica: Springcorrie is the name of the house he was from. The numbers are the croft numbers in the township.

    No problem CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adrian: I think I know the person who built it so when I next see him I'll ask. I'm quite intrigued now that you've raised the issue.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.