1 EAGLETON NOTES: Never Happy

.

.

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Never Happy

This morning it's sunny and warm at 19℃ here in Eagleton and there is only a very slight breeze.  In most places that would be regarded as pretty idyllic.  A news item last night on the Scottish News said that because of the severe winter we've just had the midges will be three times as bad as usual this year.  Why?  Apparently the midges had been relatively unscathed by the weather whilst their predators have suffered.  So when I ventured out of the house for a few minutes this morning I was surrounded by the little buggers.   Today may be an indoor day unless I decide I have to go out fully clothed and in my midge suit.  

A camper on a Loch Lomond camp site asked if he could be moved to a stand without midges.  "Try England" was the response.

Welcome to Scotland.

6 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation I understand there are thirty two species of midge only one bites humans and only the females of that species bite humans. Stop whining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah but the other 29 species and all the males get into your ears, eyes and every other orifice to which they can gain access. I've never had too many problems with midge bites. It's the little creatures in the French grass that cause me grief. And New Zealand's sand flies - they really are vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now (afternoon) I have 37C on my balcony so keeping the door shut and blinds down to keep the heat out! But no midges. (And there won't be any in the evening either.) You just gave me another reminder to be thankful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what did Shakespeare say? never a rose without a midge, something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica: there are occasions when I would say that heaven is Lewis with no midges. Now is one of those times.

    Jenny: I don't know the quote but I can well imagine that he did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the "dry" humor..."Try England..." SO funny! I'm giggling...Of course, I wouldn't be giggling if I were the one being bitten by the midges. We have some strange, almost invisible bug here this year that has been added to the Oklahoma collection of biters. We did not need any more.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.