1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday: Neighbours - Again

.

.

Thursday 18 October 2012

Thankful Thursday: Neighbours - Again

I woke and rose around 0630 this morning.  It was still dark.  Sunrise today was at 0808.  Not that anyone on Lewis would have known that because it was an almost dark 8℃ with a Northerly force 6 blowing.  I'd forgotten what getting up every morning in the dark was like.  When I lived through permanent Lewis winters the dark didn't really worry me.  In summer with it's 24 hour light one does summer things and in the depths of winter with it's 6 hours of light (if you were lucky) then one hunkers down and does winter things.  I sometimes use the fact that I don't have that hunkering down time now as an excuse for not doing so many of the jobs I want to do such as sorting out my thousands of non-digital photos.

This morning after I got up I sat with the computer reading blogs, writing some emails and generally forgetting all about time.  I had nothing planned for the day and I certainly will not be venturing into the garden.  So in the kitchen I sat with my hot waters and lemon until rather disgracefully late and, still in my dressing gown (it's just too temptingly warm on these cold mornings), I went and had a shower.

As I stepped out - about 10 am - the phone rang.  It was my next door neighbour.  "Are you OK?"  "Er, yes." "Your blinds in the living room and bedroom are still closed and I've been really concerned because you are never in bed at this hour of the morning."

I hadn't visited that side of the house since I'd got out of bed.

I've mentioned before on Thankful Thursday - many times I'm sure - what wonderful friends and neighbours I have.

So this morning I am repeating how very very thankful I am for such wonderful friends and neighbours who make sure that everything is well in my world.  I am an extremely fortunate fellow.

16 comments:

  1. How did your dressing gown take the shower? :-)

    The windows of both my living room / home office and my bedroom face South, so I have sunlight coming in for most part of the day. Sometimes that makes it difficult to see things properly on my computer or laptop screen, and so my neighbours are quite used to seeing blinds up and down at various times.
    If I wasn't in touch with my Mum and my sister for more than a day or two (by email, mostly), I am sure one of them would ring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that I shall have to be more careful with my words in future Meike!

      I think we are very lucky but there are a lot of people who are not: mainly older people I think.

      Delete
  2. It's grand that you have someone so close at hand that they check on you. What a blessing. I usually don't wake till the sun rises. During my teaching days I got up in the dark and came home in the dark. That, I did not like, but I did it, doing the job I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the winter here Norma I would not be getting up until after 9 o'clock in the morning. At that time of year the sun has set by 3.30 in the afternoon here on Lewis. Those of us who have jobs that we love also had something to be thankful for. So many people do not.

      Delete
  3. Good that they're looking out for you. With all your comings and goings they must have quite a job, though ;)

    One aspect of working life I do not miss is having to get up and out early on dark winter mornings (and not getting back home until it's dark again either). The downside of not being expected anywhere is of course that it would take a while for anyone to miss me... I'd probably be getting concerned emails from across the world before anything else! Fortunately, so far it's not been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of my immediate neighbours who are friends all know when I'm coming and going. Just as I know when they are coming and going.

      In the old days in towns everyone would know if your milk had not been taken in off the step in the morning. Now I do not think anyone has milk delivered. Perhaps you and any other neighbours who live alone could set up a 'look out for each other' group.

      Delete
    2. So far, in times of more serious worry there has usually been 'someone' to keep tabs a bit extra, even if not a next-door neighbour. Just now no immediate fear of the sky falling down on me. Just thinking that the internet is probably the place now where most friends are expecting me to "turn up" on a fairly regular basis, and might worry if I don't!

      Delete
  4. It is comforting to have neighbours keeping an eye on things. Some years ago, when my mother was living alone, I was talking to our local mail carrier. "Don't worry about your mom," he said. "i watch and if she doesn't pick up her mail at the street-side box right away, I'll go ring the bell to check on her." It was a very kind thing for him to do, and definitely not part of his job description. I am grateful for dedicated public servants who truly serve. His name is Noel, and he still delivers our mail as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really reassuring for you Carol. He's the sort of person who deserves recognition.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful caring neighbours you have GB, that was very nice of them to check up on you.
    It is mostly my "early morning chat" friends that would probably sound the alarm if they did not connect with me by 7am. We are all early risers (gardeners), so we check in with each other early on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my 'early morning chat' friends live in other cities and even countries so wouldn't miss the occasional day or two.

      Delete
  6. You are truly blessed!! Great neighbours, friends and of course family are valuable parts of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Liz and those of us who have that contact are very lucky.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how your neighbours keep up with your comings and goings but it's a comfort knowing there is someone who is keeping an eye out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a saying here on the Island, Pauline, that people know you have farted before you have eaten the beans. (Apologies for those of a delicate nature) It may be a bit earthy but it's true.

      Delete
    2. Boy oh boy, the stuff I learn on this blog...love it..

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.