1 EAGLETON NOTES: All Gone

.

.

Monday 15 October 2012

All Gone

It's 0745.  I've been up for 2½ hours.  Yes that's correct.  I was up at 0515.  The last of my visitors for the summer went off on the 0700 ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool.    The bedding is washed and on the ironing board: well, the first lot anyway.  Although there's been no rain since the thunderous hailstorm which happened just as David was loading the car, I decided to be environmentally unfriendly and use the drier because the threatening clouds and the forecast almost certainly mean that I'd be waiting days to get everything dry.

Now I have 16 days including today to sort out myself, the house, the garage, the car, the shed and the garden before I head off to the other side of the world.  I also have a wealth of blog posts still to finish on Eagleton Notes.

And after I'd written that the best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley (see explanation).  Even the weather didn't go to plan and  the day was glorious if a little on the cold side (actually it was very cold indeed despite the sun).

I then spent two hours answering questions for a Mori pollster who turned up on my doorstep on behalf of the Government (I did invite her in and offer tea) and a trip to town only to discover that the post office and bank were closed because it's a public holiday weekend (silly me).  

Despite all that I have managed to get all the bedding washed and ironed and airing ready for the beds to be re-made, a tree cut down and some of the garden cleared and re-planted and Pat and Dave popped in for coffee and a catch-up.

It's been a Good Day.

Now I have 15 days........

I did have a few moments of amusement when I made the bed in the small bedroom and found a pair of socks and a book had fallen between the bed and the wall.  If anyone who reads this blog happens to have slept in that bed and lost either item then perhaps they would care to make a claim!



14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Has half a year gone by already???
    You are a busy man, GB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fastest yet Lisa. But then I'm the oldest I've ever been (physically if not mentally) and time passes more quickly the older one gets so I'm told.

      Delete
  2. The amount of things you fit into one single day would be enough to keep me busy for an entire month, Graham!
    When I first saw your post on my dashboard with the picture of the socks, I thought "now Graham has started to knit socks, too" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Meike, the difference is that you work as well. I don't know how I ever fitted in the long hours I used to work. I knitted a scarf once but that was about it.

      Delete
  3. With your usual efficiency and getting up at 0515 you'll probably somehow manage it all. "gang aft agley"? Mori? You live in strange part of the world (or two)... And the bedroom finds put together make an intriguing story indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put the links in Monica. The quote is from Robert Burns, To a Mouse. Mori is a large polling company. A friend, Viv, saw the post and correctly guessed that it was the daughter of a friend who stayed in the house over Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Barefoot Beekeeper losing their socks. What a giggle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GB you are one busy person...keeps you out of trouble though. I am with you in your desire to make everything right before you set off again. The days will pick up speed, so do all that you can, when you can.
    I can't even believe that someone wrote a book about barefoot beekeeping...what next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Virginia, when I used to have more time I got into all sorts of trouble.

      Delete
  6. I'll pass on the beekeeping, but rather fancy the socks, if there are no other takers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a sleuthing friend has solved the mystery. Sorry Frances.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.