1 EAGLETON NOTES: Does Stress Make You Sleep?

.

.

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Does Stress Make You Sleep?

I think that these days I'm pretty unstressed although other people may see a me that I don't see.  The subject of MRI scans is topical.  I've had quite a few over the last twelve years.  I'm fortunate that they don't worry me: consciously at any rate.  So I have a habit of falling asleep during full body scans.  

I'm not worried by dentists either.  So I also had to be woken up when I was having a root canal treatment.  As the Dentist so correctly pointed out, he couldn't work on a patient who couldn't keep his mouth open.  There's a certain irony there because I'm usually being told that I can't keep my mouth shut! 

So am I really stressed and sleeping to escape or not stressed and just, well, sleeping.  

Ah well.  Back to ironing the bedding.  All's going to plan......so far.

8 comments:

  1. I do believe that you are perfectly relaxed Graham... lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me the places that people can fall asleep. I've never even managed a plane! I'd have to be relaxed to sleep, but we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you don't fall asleep when driving or something like that...!

    As you don't usually sleep very long nights I'm not too surprised if you fall asleep in situations where you have to lie down and do "nothing".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nowadays I can even fall asleep during a Formula One race - but then perhaps that's a comment on the racing rather than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Yvonne.

    The strange thing, Helen, is that I have never been able to sleep during the day in normal circumstances. It's only in the last year or two that I've even been able to doze on the plane to New Zealand. I found it easier to stay awake for a couple of days. Which is how I read each of Wild Swans and The Glass Palace in a single 'sitting'.

    Fortunately, Monica, when the monotony of driving starts to make me dozy I always take a break.

    CJ, the latest GP was a definite return to sleep-making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol How ironic I must be getting used to the MRI clanging around my head etc because I nearly feel asleep during the 30 min procedure today. Unusual for me, no for you it seems :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to read that Jaz :)

    I do remember being close to sleep when I was getting an epidural.. the anesthetist was quite concerned that I had been sedated already but I was just visiting my happy place.

    Hope the rest of the journey goes well GB - 16kg - unbelievable! I know you have a dual wardrobe so I shouldn't really be surprised, but still impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe that you fall asleep at the dentists...lucky thing! I'd pay to be put to sleep.

    SP

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.