1 EAGLETON NOTES: Harris on a Winter Monday

.

.

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Harris on a Winter Monday

My almost-lifelong friend, Mo, from Canada and I drove south to Harris yesterday. It is a drive with views of landscapes varying from wild areas of 'moonscape' rock bare of habitation and much in the way of vegetation to world-class beaches stretching for miles. We started in the late morning with coffee and Christmas cake at the Harris Distillery in Tarbert. It was a good job that we did because we did not find another single place open to get any food or drink on the entire South Harris. Fortunately there is a good scattering of well-maintained public toilet facilities.

The weather varied between dreich, heavy mist and rain to occasional flashes of blue sky and sun: The Outer Hebrides at it's varied winter best.

I only took a few photos but they will give you a flavour of our trip.

The East side of South Harris south of Licasto
A rare sunny moment turning the hillside golden on the East Side near Geocrab
On the West looking North to Northton and Northton Sands

24 comments:

  1. The scenery looks very like parts of Ireland in which I feel very much at home in,even though my home is amid green fields. So perhaps the homeliness comes from the openness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heron I rather think the openness is a big factor: certainly it is for me. Green fields are few and far between on Lewis and Harris although we have magnificent machair lands what are green and filled with flowers in the spring and early summer.

      Delete
  2. The scenery is all so pretty! I find it so hard to imagine that real people live there and it's not a movie set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime Kylie it does feel a bit like a movie set and has been used a such quite a lot. One of the sad things is that fewer and fewer people do live in the remoter parts of the Islands.

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful pictures and I am glad you are well enough to undertake such outings. Geocrab - what a strange place name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike you have set me wondering as to the origin of the name Geocrab and I have drawn a blank. Interesting because there will be plenty of information if I can find it, I'm sure. I shall try and remember to pursue the matter at a later date.

      Delete
  4. It looks beautiful, reminds me of parts of NZ in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amy, I can imagine that even though I have never spent a winter in New Zealand.

      Delete
  5. How happy it must have made you, those flashes of sunshine! Your scenery is beautiful in all weathers, of course, but I do love the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay it brought some joy into my heart and into that of my visitor even though she had been there before. It is always different.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these glimpses of Harris. Once We stayed on Mull for a week and I very much appreciated the changing moods of the weather, the changing light, the uncertainty and the big Atlantic clouds rolling in. It's part of what the Hebridean islands is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP I'm hoping this coming year to make a real effort to get out and about again and explore some of the areas I have neglected for so long.

      Delete
  7. Interesting to see the winter colour scheme ... I think most of your blog images from Lewis and Harris in the past have probably been from the summer months (as you used to skip winter and go to NZ for another summer instead!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica you are absolutely correct. Since I've been blogging I've not really live a winter on Lewis until the last couple of years.

      Delete
  8. Every day is a good day, sunny, grey, raining or dry...or in between. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, as you know, for me, if I wake up it's a Good Day.

      Delete
  9. I do love Lee's comment. Yes indeed everyday is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda you show us that so much and I've been missing it - together with the rest of Blogland.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.