1 EAGLETON NOTES: Catriona

.

.

Wednesday 14 August 2024

Catriona

I promised that I would blog about Catriona, now preferring to be called by the trendier (in her view) name of Cat. 

Catriona (old habits die hard) and I first 'met' when she was 3 years old and living in New Zealand to where her family had emigrated. They were living on a 5 acre life-style plot in Poraiti near Napier on the East Coast of North Island. I had known Wendy and Martin since 1989 when they came to live on Lewis but moved away before the children were born.

Probably the first picture I took of Catriona was what has become one of my iconic favourites of the first visit I made in 2005.


Catriona's fourth birthday occurred during my first visit to New Zealand which was only 6 weeks long. On her birthday there was a party for her at her pre-school group to which parents (and honorary grand-parent) were invited. After the party I promised Catriona that I would be there for her for her 'graduation' from pre-school to school on her fifth birthday.
That was a promise which, unknowingly, was to change the rest of my life in so many ways.

The seasons of Scotland and New Zealand are, of course, the reverse of each other. My visits to New Zealand always included their summer. 

When I came to book the plane for my next visit to keep my promise to Catriona I decided on the outward journey date in early September. I entered the date and suddenly realised that I'd given absolutely no other thought to the visit and, in particular how long I would stay. 

Our elder son had just died on my birthday and rational thinking about anything was rather outwith my capabilities.

I do, however, recall sitting at the computer and my brain suddenly saying "Wotthehellarchiewotthehell just go for 6 months". So I entered a date 6 months from the outward trip.  Then I had to tell Wendy and Martin. 

My promise to Catriona was fulfilled and my new life was about to begin.

More about Catriona soon.

For those who are new to my blog my New Zealand life was covered in my blog A Hebridean in New Zealand (See link in sidebar).


31 comments:

  1. She was a sweet little girl judging by that photo. I gather that has not changed much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photograph. She probably likes it that you call her Catriona, as you always have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice your comment went to spam. I apologise on behalf of Blogger. Indeed I think you are correct in that she has never ever asked me not to.

      Delete
  3. Amazing how your connection to Catriona changed your life. I will have to take some time to check out your New Zealand life, Graham. Sounds like you have had a life of exciting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen. my New Zealand life was absolutely wonderful and I made some very special friends in New Zealand.

      Delete
  4. I bet Wendy and Martin were delighted to learn that you would be staying, not for six days or six weeks - but six months! How did you explain it? "Err, sorry I pressed the wrong keys when booking my flight!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, the next New Zealand post will reveal what happened when I told them.

      Delete
  5. It takes just a second to go down the other leg of the Trousers of Fate 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a promise well kept. She must mean a lot to you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, Catriona is a very important person in my life and she means a great deal to me. Indeed the whole family are as important as any relationship could be.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful story of how you came to be visiting NZ. Sometimes fate just seems to step in and say, hey, this is where you are meant to be - and I can see you are happy that it worked out like it did.
    P.S. I hope you found those Brandy Snaps :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. No luck with the brandy snaps so far. I'll try the delicatessen on Saturday (assuming I remember!).

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the story of how you know Catriona and how she fits into your New Zealand story. It must be lovely to have been part of her life and seen her grow up. There are a few other gaps for me but will let this suffice for now and maybe the other gaps will fill in on the way naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had some good things and some bad things. Cat's very sweet looking girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, she was a very sweet child. She's an okay young lady too!

      Delete
  10. After a very nice meal with a group of old school-friends, we all promised to meet again in another ten years exactly. It never happened; I think we all forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, on Lewis the Nicolson Institute is very keen on it's re-unions as are some of the primary schools. I never attended a school reunion.

      Delete
  11. When I came across your "Hebridean in NZ" blog back then, it was because I'd been a regular reader and commenter at your brother's blog. To this day, I am glad I got to "know" the two Edwards brothers.
    You took a spontaneous decision, based on a promise to a little girl, and with the aftermath of your son's recent death to deal with. It is fascinating how some seemingly small thing can have such a big impact on one's life.

    What is a "life-style plot"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, a "life-style plot" is generally 5 acres of land (often surrounding towns) where you can build a house and grow some crops and trees. You are usually allowed to build 'granny accommodation' in addition to the house but not exceeding 60 sq m area.

      Delete
  12. Honorary Grandfather sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. And it all started with a promise made to a little girl by her honorary grandfather. That's a very sweet beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby,they only took a few seconds to utter but were some of the most significant words I have ever spoken..

      Delete
  14. Just re-read this post and realised I had not commented. I don't think I ever gathered before that W&M's children were born in NZ and that you hadn't met Catriona until your first visit there. Looking forward to more ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. There was quite a big gap between them leaving the Island and living in New Zealand.

      Delete
  15. Catriona was a lovely looking kid, as she is a lovely young woman. How lovely to have such a strong connection to the family. I think some of the best things I have done in life have resulted from those kinds of spontaneous promises and decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.