1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thank You Once Again

.

.

Monday 21 January 2019

Thank You Once Again

I never cease to be grateful to the staff of the NHS in particular and the concept of the NHS in general. I’ve said it before and doubtless I’ll say it again. 
Last Thursday I came into the Day Surgery Centre of Ayr Hospital to have my kidney stent changed. It’s a necessary routine every 3 to 6 months. My particular surgery is complicated by all the damage done by radiotherapy back in 2008. The last change was 5 months ago and has been problem free since. 

I went into surgery at 0930 and was up on the ward for observation overnight an hour or two later bright eyed and bushy tailed. The operation had gone well and, for the first time, no ‘cutting’ to get the instruments in had been necessary. 

I was more than a little surprised therefore to be showing signs of imminent sepsis within a couple of hours. By late afternoon I was totally poleaxed and a lot of concerned medical staff were either taking readings or taking fluids out of me or putting fluids into me. 

Today I woke feeling fairly human and at lunchtime had my first solid food (apart from two bananas) since last Wednesday. It was a baked potato with baked beans and cheese. Heaven. Discharge beckoned. 

However I’ll have to be a patient patient. Apparently I won’t be leaving the ward until Wednesday or Thursday. The infection was both in my blood and urology systems and had threatened my heart

Hey ho. I feel unbelievably fortunate, however, having just learned that a friend in the States had a severe internal rupture which  allowed everything inside to become one big mess requiring an operation with a 20% chance of survival and ages in ICU (and that’s just the barest bones of the story). He has survived but he’s a long way from the end of the story. 

I’m writing this on my phone so I’ll end here and be back with you all properly as soon as I can. I might even try and catch up with some comments. Who knows?

28 comments:

  1. The sepsis was very unfortunate for you Graham. I trust that you will soon be fully recovered and back in your home in a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're on the mend GB, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you seem to be over the worst of it - once again!! Now stay patient as long as is needed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham - how awful! But I'm so glad you're on the mend now. Love and best wishes from us both x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, so glad it was caught in time. Take care and heal well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That potato would have been divine after such a long wait. Glad to hear you are heading in the right direction now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers as you've been in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very best wishes to you Graham. Thank goodness the Sepsis set in where you were, and where they could deal with it quickly. May the NHS continue for ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Graham, you're a bloomin mess.
    Thank The Fates for the NHS.
    Sending you bottles of intravenous love
    From that Scriptor chap, your little Bruv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear little Bruv, I liked your rhyme
      It cheered me up no end.
      Now that I'm out and and have the time
      This thank you I do send.

      Delete
  10. Good job they got you sorted. I bet it was those bloody pigeons. They want shooting as they have killed a couple of folk in Scottish hospitals. I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of man to stop pigeons living in hospitals but what do I know. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do seem to attract this blooming sepsis bug. I had not really come across it until you told me about it. You were fortunately still in the right place to get treatment started quickly. Keep taking the meds and you will soon be back to your lovely home on Lewis.

    Take care, David and Beverley

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are bushy-tailed? I should have recognised your vulpine traits before now. Fingers crossed you will be back on the island very soon - terrorising chickens and searching through overturned dustbins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, that was bad luck. Sepsis is fast becoming the modern age equivalent of the plague, I think. Hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to hear of your successful op, and (now) recovery. We all value the NHS, like you do. Good luck for your ongoing recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear, that sounds bad - but good at the same time, as you were in such capable hands. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!
    PS: I love John's poem :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's good that they are onto your medical condition though, they seem quite thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crikey sepsis thats bad news. I hope they've killed all the nasties and you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, GB, I had no idea! You poor dear... well, you and Bear are in good company, eh? He's still got a few infections going at the moment... I am under orders from my mother to find out exactly what they are, etc.

    Take good care of yourself, you are one in a million!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear it happened- relieved you are now ok! Home soon hopefully. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I was receiving them on my phone in hospital and they were of considerable help and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Graham, I had no idea, I've been away from Blogland for a couple of weeks. I hope you are home by now - I'm working through your posts backwards. What a thing to happen and indeed how lucky you are with that hospital, you have often praised these wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a week or so before I'm home, Jenny, but I'm in good hands.

      Delete
  22. Oh, boy....I've been a bit behind in reading and responding to blogs...as you may notice....You certainly have been doing it tough there during my absence for Blogland!

    I wish you all the best, my friend....keep taking those positive strides forward. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.