1 EAGLETON NOTES: Dunblane

.

.

Monday 18 September 2017

Dunblane

I called in at Another Tilly Tearoom  in Dunblane on my way south a couple of weeks ago. I like Dunblane. It is a great shame that, for many, the only thing that it means to them is the terrible Dunblane Massacre 21 years ago when 16 schoolchildren and one adult lost their lives. 

It has an attractive Cathedral, The Leighton Library, A Museum, (the last two of which I have never visited). However, although it is doubtless a pleasant place to live (and about 50 minutes by train from the centre of Glasgow) it's not a great tourist attraction and the main street has little to offer except several first class butchers (selling famous pies and the like in addition to raw meat), some small shops and charity shops and some cafés.

I have stayed and visited many times (a number of times with CJ) and passed through many times in the last half century. I hope it continues to prosper.


The gold post box painted in honour of Andy Murray's Gold Medal 2012 Olympics win over Roger Federer. The tearoom is on the left up the road just past the red car (in case you are ever looking for it).

26 comments:

  1. A street full of tea rooms and cafes sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie I often wonder how many keep going but we, as a nation, seem to spend a huge amount of our money eating and drinking out.

      Delete
    2. It's like that here, now as well. It's very different to the way I grew up

      Delete
  2. That gold post box made me laugh and then I looked again noticing the black base it looks like a bullet or bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it does look like a bullet Heron. That hadn't occurred to me.

      Delete
  3. Small out of the way places can be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to know Dunblane and Bridge of Allan quite well as they were on the doorstep of The University of Stirling. Both nice places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, YP, but rather changed since your University days.

      Delete
  5. This time, last year, hubby and Mom and I were right there... having a cup of tea with CJ and Partner Who Loves Tea, just before heading up to visit you... such fond memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, indeed, a time of lovely memories and the forging, for me, of new friendships.

      Delete
  6. My "sports filter" seems to have been fully functioning during the 2012 Olympics (and still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Monica, I'm not a big sports follower either (although I make an exception for Wimbledon and some motor sports.

      Delete
  7. I've always liked Dunblane but since last year it's become extra special. The Leighton Library is worth a visit. It's one of about 30 independent libraries left in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, CJ, I really must take the time to visit it one day.

      Delete
  8. How strange that the butchers sell pies as well as raw meats. I doubt that practice happens here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I don't recall that in England either Lee but it's very much the thing in Scotland. Although, of course, there are strict rules on separation of products.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes little towns are nicer without tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane they usually are for the residents unless they make their money out of tourism.

      Delete
  10. It's definitely somewhere that looks nothing like it does in NZ, but I think that's why I like your photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy there's certainly nothing like Dunblane in any of the New World.

      Delete
  11. Maybe Andy Murray will get a grander monument when his tennis playing days are over?? I'm not a fan but feel he deserves more than a coat of paint on a letter box. Lovely little village. For some reason, I suppose because we have all heard the name, I expected it to be bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline every GB Gold Medal winner in the Olympics gets a gold post box in their town. It's a small but nice touch and it's amazing how many people come and have their photo taken there. There were a few just as I arrived.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.