1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday: Sleep

.

.

Thursday 2 May 2013

Thankful Thursday: Sleep

This morning I had (for my own piece of mind) to be up at 0400 to make sure that a friend was up to catch a plane to the US.  I set the alarm on my iPhone.  If I was catching the plane I would usually sleep soundly until the alarm (or, more usually, wake just before it went off).  Presumably because it was someone else I slept in short fits and starts through the night checking the time.  I know that many of my friends do not sleep soundly and are awake a good bit during the night or have difficulty getting to sleep in the first place.  Never having had either problem, last night as I lay awake my mind spent a lot of time mulling all sorts of things over including the terrible curse that chronic insomnia would be. 

Today I am thankful that usually when I put my head on the pillow I fall asleep quickly and I sleep soundly.

The post script to this post is that as soon as I'd checked on my friend I was asleep: properly asleep!


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes Monica. I think you are correct in that it's easier to sleep if one does have peace of mind but does a lack of peace of mind necessarily stop one from sleeping? There must be many other causes of insomnia too I would have thought.

      Delete
    2. It was you spelling that made me smile, whether intentional or not. (piece instead of peace)

      Delete
    3. Gosh I must have been half asleep (I probably was) when I read that. I didn't even see the mistake. I just saw what I expected to see. It comes to a sorry state when people have to explain their comments to one. 4/10. I'll try to do better next time!

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. No wonder after your long flight, I took it for a deliberate pun though... You can make up for it by doing it the other way round another time :)

      Delete
  2. Reading this at 3.50 a.m. I was amused!!! Well sort of!! Well, wryly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I wrote the piece CJ. You probably have different reasons from many though because of the pain. Often insomnia seems to have no specific cause (like dreams).

      Delete
  3. If it is up to myself, I usually fall asleep easily and sleep really well. But I wake up with noise in and outside the house easily, and then I get really cross because as soon as I am fully awake, the noise stops (doors banging, heavy steps on the stairs, leaf blowers and lawn mowers - you name it, we get it!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike I am always thankful for the fact that I live in relative rural isolation: I am rarely bothered by any noise other than the noises of nature around me.

      Delete
  4. I am usually up around 4.30 - 5.00am, but if I have to be awake early, I always make sure to set my alarm to be on the safe side.
    Sometimes I'm up earlier, like now (3.05am) while I write this. It's Brownie that has insomnia this time around, so I'm up keeping his company until he settles back down.
    It's always nice to help a friend out when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Virginia but then you do that a lot: you're a kind person.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.