1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Day of Sport and Wallpapering

.

.

Sunday 14 July 2019

A Day of Sport and Wallpapering

I'm not a great sports follower but today has been a sportfest so far as I was concerned. I wasn't able to sit down and plonk myself in front of the television because I was wallpapering the newly installed kitchen. I don't have a choice either because my visitors start at the end of the week until mid September. 

Today was the day for the final of the Cricket World Cup between England (their first final for 27 years - a title they have never won), the British Grand Prix, the final day of Wimbledon, and the Tour de France. All are available on UK free-to-air television. Four of the rooms in my house have televisions but I can't be in more than one at a time.

Prioritising seemed as if it could be a challenge. So I decided to have the cricket on the television  in the kitchen until the Grand Prix and then after it I would watch the Wimbledon simultaneously on an iPad. I recorded the Tour de France highlights. 

As it happens that  decision was inspired because the tennis and the cricket were cliff-hangers and the British Grand Prix was actually interesting for once.

The cricket World Cup Final ended in a draw which had to be decided by a Super Over which ended with a win for England by 1 run.

The Grand Prix was won by Lewis Hamilton for the seventh time making him the most successful winner of the British Grand Prix in its 70-year history. 

Djokovic beat Federer in the fifth set after it had gone to 12 games all in the final set and had to be decided by a tiebreak making the final set 13:12 to Djokovic.

I have no idea what happened in the Tour de France.

However I did get the kitchen lining paper hung which just leaves the wallpaper and the painting to be done before next weekend. Oh. And the kitchen re-filled with everything I took out which is sitting in the garage in boxes.

22 comments:

  1. My dear wife is a Tennis fan; I am not. She wanted to watch Wimbledon; I didn't. I wanted to watch Silverstone, Lords, and The Tour; she said 'No'. We only have one TV. Any advice (apart from buying another one)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In such disputes here in the Nobody household one of us is relegated to the office to watch TV via the laptop.

      Delete
    2. Cro, I simply watched one on the iPad (I could have used the laptop) and one on the tv in the same room switching sound as appropriate.

      JayCee, one of the advantages of living alone is that you don't have to please or submit to anyone.

      Delete
  2. GP did sound interesting for once.
    I am a little perturbed regarding the cricket. Isn't it racist to beat a foreign team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sports on telly leaves me completely cold (with the exception of a handful of football matches I have watched over the past 20 years or so), but I am most interested in seeing pictures of your new kitchen!
    My bathroom is finally finished (as good as), and I am definitely going to blog about it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strange thing, Meike, is that I'm not, generally speaking, a sports fan. However Wimbledon is a big exception. I used to enjoy the Tour de France because you see so much of the countryside in covering shots and it is an amazing endurance spectacle. I'm less interested these days. The Grand Prix is compulsory viewing even though most of the races are very boring: yesterday's was anything but. I used to be a great cricket fan but haven't watched it for many years. This was the World Cup between 'my' two countries (Scotland don't play international cricket) England and New Zealand so I had to watch and it was absolutely riveting. I've just checked that last statement and apparently Scotland do have a national cricket team - every day is a school day.

      Delete
  4. Sport leaves me cold so I think I would prefer to stick with Radio Three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I usually live with Radio 3 but it just so happens that Sunday was the perfect sport storm for me.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyable post, sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maywyn, it made the paperhanging more bearable.

      Delete
  6. Another Barry - Barry Bucknell would have had that decorating job finished long ago. Historically, do you all hail from Barry Island? By the way, England did not win by one run - they drew with New Zealand but England scored more boundaries so they got the trophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, you are, of course, correct about the one run and the boundaries. I got a bit confused at the end and didn'twatch long enough for the explanations. The tennis beckoned. However it would appear that I wasn't the only one. It would appear that that England were incorrectly awarded an extra run during the climax to their innings, which may have ultimately altered the outcome of the game.

      Perhaps after seven weeks of play two teams can't be separated on the final day sharing the trophy would have been fairer.

      Delete
  7. I don't really get into tennis or cricket but we will be avidly watching the rugby world cup in September. Can't wait for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many apologies for missing your comment, Amy. I, too, will be watching the rugby next month (I hope!).

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, going back a month I'm now intrigued as to what was removed. It's always good to know that you've visited, though.

      Delete
  9. I agree with Meike - more interested in pictures of your new kitchen than in sports results... I treat sports on TV much like commercials - i.e. as an inspiration to either switch channels, or go and do something else! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another of my slips, Monica. Not sure why. Generally speaking I agree with you but there are some events at some times that I really do like to see.

      Delete
  10. I'd rather listen to cricket than watch it. Some commentators have a very colourful turn of phrase. The recent outcome didn't go down too well here in NZ. I happily lost a lot of sleep while Wimbledon was on, always love the tennis. More recently, Kiwis are celebrating the netball win - and getting up in arms about their lack of financial reward. I actually watched the rugby (ABs Vs Sprinboks) last night, having a housemate to watch with does make a difference. But, enough of all that, what about some photos of the kitchen????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I've just seen your comment amongst a page of spam. Many apologies for missing it. I used to listen to the test matches when I was working in the pottery. Some of the cricket these days is very watchable though but only when the exciting things are happening. And they can be hard to predict. As for my kitchen I'm a bit reluctant to show it although I'm very pleased with it. Perhaps when the new radiator has been put in I might.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.