1 EAGLETON NOTES: Vandalism or Whimsy?

.

.

Saturday 21 September 2013

Vandalism or Whimsy?

Frances Garrood, novelist, mad horsewoman, loveable eccentric (I just made that one up 'cos it came into my mind) posted today on the esoteric philosophical subject of pareidolia.  Of course you know what that is but just in case you are struggling trying to recall the last time it came up in a cross-word it's the psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant, a form of apophenia. Common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon, and hearing hidden messages on records when played in reverse. Frances, very sensibly, just called it seeing faces in things.  I understood that.

Apparently she sees faces in all sorts of things, particularly light switches.  C'est trĂ©s bizarre.  As I have no imagination it's never been something with which I was (or am) afflicted.  However I did rather like the idea of faces in lights witches.  So, Frances, you can take the blame for the fact that I have decided to make it my mission in life to ensure that everyone has a smiley face light switch.  The first in my campaign is in my own hall.  Actually I think it looks more like Thomas The Tank Engine.  The photo shows not only that I didn't bother to adjust the lighting but also that I don't even have the artistic ability to draw a mouth without it being decidedly lopsided.  C'est la vie.  Not only that but the screws are not lined up properly.  Quel dommage.

I had decided that now that I have managed to reach the childhood I missed out on by being born with my pension book in my hand (my Mother's words) I would celebrate this new-found childhood with some graphic vandalism and put a smiley face in each hotel room in which I stay.  Frances implied that the use of white board felt-tip pens for the purpose was a feeble attempt at such a career.  Ho hum.  Failed again.  C'est plus de la vie.  (here demonstrating that I can, at least, get by with a few French frazes).

Enjoy what's left of your weekend. 

17 comments:

  1. If you can see Thomas the Tank Engine in your light switch, you must be a lot better at holding images in your head than you claim to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Monica, I just made that up on the spur of the moment because it was square and I think of tank engines as square. In fact I've just looked it up and Thomas has a round face like the others.

      Delete
  2. And as far as the image goes, I'd say it's vandalism that is whimsical. :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's your professional opinion I take it Mersad>

      Delete
  3. Felt tips are fine, GB. In fact they are the best. As for your 'face', you're getting the idea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, you have little to lose.
    Draw a tash on Dithery. Creep up and say: " Never have I seen a more useless waste of space." Draw quick. I'll put a penny in the pot for the pen.
    Defacing stuff is only an outlet for frustration. Please find a new hobby or attack the route of your frustration.
    This country is run by shites for other shit houses. I went abroad to work rather than nail my colours to the mast and stand up and die for shooting Queenie, Thatcher or Scargill.
    I should have been braver. I'm too old to be that bothered now. I certainly couldn't deface a light switch.
    Horses for courses. I'm back to building a three dee brick wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian you are definitely as barking mad as I am: perhaps even more.

      Delete
    2. I'm out of my tree. Your whatsit Mark started it. I think I'm on the right track now for generating tiny brick built buildings.....I need a cycatrist. So definitely you is sane. Painting on switches never thought of that one. Happen you need one too.

      Delete
  5. How inspiring - I shall be brave next time I see a possibility!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to carry a dry wipe marker in your handbag Fiona. You do carry a handbag? What makes me think you don't sound like a handbag person?

      Delete
  6. Real smiles on real people are lopsided, too, therefore your attempt at creating a smiley face there is quite good.
    All the light switches in my home are the square "flap" ones, not buttons. Nobody can see anything in them but a square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed that people's smiles were lopsided Meike. I'm not sure that I'm really very observant. I think that the flap switches you use are very practical and I brought quite a few home years ago and used them in my house at the time.

      Delete
  7. I think you'll have to carry a screw driver and a marker pen. I don't think you'd want to leave that cute engine with a wonky eye. You'll have to be frisked before you enter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not inviting you here again! Apart from anything else you'd notice how dirty the switches are which was my first reaction when I picked up a marker pen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been intrigued by Francis' posts, too. It's made me start looking out for faces but, like you, I do find that they tend to hide themselves most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well knock me down and call me whimsical, I've always seen faces in things like the clouds and everyday objects. Oh heck, me and the man in the moon are great friends...I see him all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.