1 EAGLETON NOTES: Memory Blossoms

.

.

Sunday 19 May 2013

Memory Blossoms

I'm in Glasgow.  Caroline, daughter of Friend Who Knows Too Much, invited me to the opening of the   degree show for the honours year of her contemporary arts degree course.   I would not have missed it for the world.  I struggle with a lot of contemporary art.  I always have done.  Being with Caroline and following one of her blogs is a revelation.  Frequently I find myself puzzled even after an explanation of the thought processes that may have been behind some contemporary works but I now have a greater appreciation of such art and can at least look at it and think rather than just walk on by.

As it happens I find much of Caroline's work understandable and beautiful both visually and texturally.  No photograph really does it justice but her work in the degree show (part of the whole work - there just wasn't enough space) is the one in these photos.  

Caroline's words:

"Memory Blossoms

I will sway and creak in the cold wind.  I'll hold my buds closed until that warm summer's day when the air smells like raindrops steaming from the tarmac.  Then my flowers will blink at the sun.  When the air smells of peat smoke, my flowers will float to the ground one by one and surround me in a sleepy halo.  The wind will come again, and I will fill the air."  



The 'picture' in the background is part of an installation by Maryam Zare and is entitled The Dream.




7 comments:

  1. That fits rather perfectly with the week that just lies behind us here, Nature-wise... (Well - as I interpret it, anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather coincidental I think Monica but it does fit rather well.

      Delete
    2. I love the way she expresses this, it's stayed with me ever since I first looked at this post. She's a poet as well as an artist. It's a great photo too by the way. Did she stand like that during the showing(s) of the exhibition, being part of her own artwork?

      Delete
  2. I loved "Memory Blossoms."
    I think Caroline did a great job.....at least I can understand and appreciate her composition.
    Some of the contemporary art just flies right over my head. I am totally off-base moreso than on point when it comes to deciphering the art piece. I use that word "deciphering" very loosely in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia. Most contemporary art flies over my head too but Caroline has been helping me to understand some of it at least and to think more about it.

      Delete
  3. I love her words/inspiration. It's as if she had a dream and then set about re-creating it. And did a great job of it! Standing in the middle in her pretty spring dress she becomes part of her own creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a very creative young lady!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.