1 EAGLETON NOTES: Blame Europe

.

.

Thursday 14 December 2017

Blame Europe

A couple of days after the Harris trip Mo went back to Canada and I popped down for an appointment at The Beatson (the West of Scotland's centre of excellence for cancer treatment) in Glasgow. A play and a concert were planned before I expected to fly home at the weekend.

By Thursday night I was unwell again and on Friday I was admitted to Glasgow's Royal Infirmary from whence I returned home late this afternoon.

I knew from my previous experience a couple of weeks ago that I was seriously unwell as I had a raging temperature, rigors and was tachycardic. They were easy to spot even from where I was lying. 

The hospital staff were fantastic. From the moment I registered at A and E until I was on the medical reception ward with intravenous antibiotics already administered took just two hours.

No-one does emergencies better than the NHS.

Oh, and what's Europe got to do with it?

I had urosepsis but, in my befuddled state, all I could think of Eurosepsis. I think Brexit is getting to me.

So I've still not read any blogs, done any Christmas cards, made my Christmas cakes or, in fact done anything much to speak of at all. For three days I hardly even ate. 

So this is just to bring you up to date. Hopefully I've seen the back of hospitals for a few months at least when the routine stuff kicks in again.

However Pat and I have made a pact that we are starting the gym again in the New Year. Come on Pat: now more than ever!

More soon! 


23 comments:

  1. Quite a shock to hear of your emergency. It's comforting when you get excellent care.I hope your recovery is rapid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red it came as a bit of a shock to me as well. I have to say that the care I have had from the NHS over the last three months has been second to none.

      Delete
  2. Just when you thought you were feeling better! Maybe forget the gym, and relax a while; long walks and fresh air. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro on Lewis in January the gym is the soft option! I love long walks but into driving wind and rain they lose their appeal. Pat walks her dog but she's an elderly retriever (the dog, not Pat).

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital again, but I am truly glad you live to tell the tale, and of course it is good to know they really do a good job there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. Hopefully that's the last of the surprises.

      Delete
  4. Let us hope that is your run of misfortune over. I've been blaming Europe or the EU for forty years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. Adrian, I suppose we have to have someone to blame.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame them for your misfortune. I do have reservations about a massive state. German led is just the last straw. My dad helped last time and I will do what I can to persuade folk they are not a good idea. You are due a little pigeon time.

      Delete
  5. Oh no. You have been in the wars. Get strong again Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheesh! sepsis!
    I'm glad the NHS do emergencies well. Don't worry about cards, blogs or cakes until you actually want to
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie I have at last accepted that the cakes are not going to be made! The Blogs are part of my therapy of trying to recapture my 'normal' life again.

      Delete
  7. No news is good news except when it isn't. I'm sure that we were all thinking that you were enjoying Mo's company and all was well. Damn it! So, you are now thinking that 2018 will bring a bit of respite from hospital stays and nasty Euro connections. Let us hope that that will be the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Potty. I have high hopes and expectations for 2018.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the update Graham. Healthwise you have been on a bad run recently. Let's hope that 2018 is a happy stroll for you - keeping the medics at bay.
    P.S. What does "exoected" mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP it means that I seem to be incapable of proof reading! The strange thing is that until that fateful phone call at lunchtime on Saturday 9th September I hardly had a care in the world and was sailing along on my little health canoe down a very quiet river.

      Delete
  9. How good to see you back, Graham, but I'm so sorry you've had more complications. I do hope you still manage a lovely Christmas, with or without cake. And good luck with the gym!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances. I usually make six cakes as presents. This year will be a blip year in that I made two a while ago but the rest will probably have to wait until Easter. After all the ingredients are occupying quite a space in my utility room.

      Delete
  10. wow I hope you're on the mend this time and that nothing further happens. Yes I"m with you on the gym, that's my main new year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I have lost so much weight that I really need to build up all the muscle I had when I was going to the gym regularly.

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear that things are improving.Have a quiet Christmas this year, there's no timetable to keep to, just do what you enjoy and get strong again. Best wishes anyway and look forward to the Spring and all the joy that brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cath. I'm hoping for a quiet Christmas. In a few days the nights start getting shorter and the days longer and Spring will soon be upon us.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.