1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Journey Home

.

.

Monday 15 February 2016

A Journey Home

I'm 'home' again in Napier. It was a wonderful few days away and I'm very glad that Judy invited me to play at the tournament.  The second day of the Open Championship Singles wasn't as successful for me although it was just as enjoyable as the first day. I managed a respectable 5th out of the 14 of us playing. The winner was an old friend who often stayed with me at The Cottage when he played in Napier: Mike Crashley. He only had two losses (one of which was to me!). 

Kate also took me to visit a mutual friend (whom I first met at Aftermas some years ago)  which was wonderful.

This morning we set off for 'home' down the dark blue route. 

One might say that roads are roads whereever one is in the world but New Zealand is a country the size of the UK with a population (about 4.6 million) only 2/3 the size of Scotland and about 7% of the UK population. The roads we travelled today are the main arterial highways of this country with its scattered population. Vehicles were relatively few and far between and although ships transport goods into the country at many ports those goods still have to make their way inland on heavey lorries with their trailers, and logging trucks take logs throught the country to their ports of export. To that can be added the dairy tankers which supply the dairy factories and the lorries taking the finished products (principally dried milk products, butter and cheese). The Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited is a New Zealand multinational dairy co-operative owned by around 13,000 New Zealand farmers. The company is responsible for approximately 30% of the world's dairy exports and with revenue exceeding NZ$19.87 billion, is New Zealand's largest company.

16 comments:

  1. So - the roads are just a tad busier than on Lewis then? I glad that you are enjoying your games again. Lovely day here. Just walked along the beach in brilliant sunshine. 😎☕️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat the road down from Tauranga was actually remarkably quiet for a main arterial route but the wagons tend to travel fairly quickly so there are relatively few hold-ups. 29℃ here today!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am impressed - not only by the beautiful landscape you came through on your journey, but also that Fonterra are responsible for 30 % of worldwide dairy exports!
    Last but not least, you achieved a very respectable result indeed, coming 5th of 14 at the croquet tournament. Imagine where you would have been without the two-year-pause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike the truth is that I'd probably have had higher expectations had I been playing all that time and then perhaps would have been less relaxed and enjoyed the tournament less.

      Delete
  3. The roads look quite good too, for such a smalll population. Good to see you Geeb. And I'm glad you had such a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate and thank you for taking me to see Anne. As you travel that road quite a lot at the moment so you'll know it well and will doubtless see it at busier times.

      Delete
  4. Weirdly, MY knee has been playing up. Telepathic transference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate even more bizarre is the fact that my knee is better today than it's been for months and I actually walked up Otatara Pa this afternoon in 29℃ .

      Delete
  5. You are in a very beautiful and busy area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a beautiful country. As I've mentioned previously I've only ever been to the South Island, Christchurch and its surrounds...back in late 1986. I was so intrigued by the compactness and neatness of their farms down that way. It was so easy to notice the borders/demarcation lines between one property and the other...so very different to the rural areas/properties in our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee one of the things I love about New Zealand is the fact that it varies so much from the heat of Northland to the glaciers of the Southern Alps with everything from fjords and volcanos to island paradises.

      Delete
  7. Those scenic roads through hills and dales are so peaceful looking even with large trucks driving by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia they are certainly peaceful and communities are so remote along that particular route.

      Delete
  8. I some ways those roads and views remind me of my own country. Except, of course, that we drive on the right here. ;) On a weekday there's always a good chance of getting stuck behind a lorry though!
    Congratulations on coming 5th among 14, considering it's been a while since you last had a chance to play I'd say that's a very respectable achievement indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful scenery for your drive. Makes driving almost seem worthwhile - it is NOT one of my favourite occupations normally.

    As for the croquet, how nice to be playing again and you obviously haven't lost your knack for the game.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.