1 EAGLETON NOTES: It's a Very Small World

.

.

Monday 28 October 2013

It's a Very Small World

I'm sure that I must have posted about this before: probably many times.  

It occurred to me this morning that yesterday I spoke on the 'phone to friends in Canada, New Zealand (2), England, Scotland, and on the Island.  I was Skyped by Jamie in China and passed on a message from Jamie to New Zealand.  I received emails from every continent.  I read blogs from all over the place but the nature of blogging made the places irrelevant because Blogland encompasses the world (or much of it anyway).

I was born in Liverpool and people from Liverpool ended up all over the world because it was a sea-faring city with links to everywhere.  I came to Lewis decades ago and found people who knew countries and places I'd hardly even heard of.  In particular many from here went to the Southern Hemisphere on the whalers and I've met a few old-timers who were well acquainted with Napier and many other places in New Zealand.  It's pretty much the same today with so many young people going to sea and working on the rigs and oil industry all over the world.

This, however, is just the human element of the small world we inhabit and share with other creatures.  The migrations of the Monarch Butterfly and the Godwit almost make our efforts look insignificant by comparison.  We use our brains to enable us to make the world smaller and they use their bodies so I suppose they can't really be compared but even so.....

So today I've been relishing the sun and mild weather to clear up the last few outside jobs before I leave for Glasgow and then New Zealand on my annual migration (assisted by the efforts of many thousands, perhaps millions, of brains which created all the means of transport etc that I shall be using to achieve the journey).  I feel for those in the South of England who are clearing up after the terrible storm they've just had.  Having lived through three hurricanes on the Island where we are adapted for such weather I cannot really imagine how bad it must be in some places which are clear not so adapted.

As a reminder that all days are not as calm and sunny as today this was my garden pond a few days ago:


  

14 comments:

  1. Just been catching up with some internet news flashes of the storm from Britian... It's on its way here now... (Heavy rain hitting my windows as I write, and severe storm warnings issued for the evening and night. Some trains have been cancelled etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant post GB ~ safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calm? SUNNY? has the hurricane not reached you yet?
    LOVE that photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What hurricane Frances. We had a lovely morning. Makes a change though because it's usually us getting the winds.

      Delete
  4. The wonder of it all....I am always amazed at how small the world has become.
    We can reach out and connect with friends and family in seconds....so much to be thankful for.
    I've just checked your counter and realised that it's less than a week to go before Eagleton Notes goes on hiatus.
    I'm hoping the weather doesn't do too much harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Virginia. I'm hoping for some calm flights but travel at this time of year can be a lottery.

      Delete
  5. There was a documentary on telly the other night about exoplanets, and compared to many of them, our Earth really is a very small world.
    No hurricane down here, but in the north of Germany, the storm caused a lot of damage, and at least four people have died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meike I've just seen it on the morning news. And yes our planet is tiny compared with many but as it's the only one we've got for the moment for the human race I hope we manage to look after it.

      Delete
  6. What a super pond picture. I don't know why it appeals to me so much. A relative had his boat over to Ireland cancelled, but other than this, we weren't really affected by the storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very fortunate Jenny in that we had a lovely, sunny morning and I got a lot done in the garden. This afternoon (Wednesday) has been a very different story.

      Delete
  7. Hope the weather stays fair for your migration. There's been snow on Mt Taranaki the past couple of nights, I prefer that to rain down here on the plains. Lovely raindrops shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. The forecast for tomorrow is not as bad this evening as it was earlier. I think I may still have a rather bumpy flight down to Glasgow though.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.