1 EAGLETON NOTES: Following Blogs

.

.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Following Blogs

Jenny asked yesterday "By the way do you have a blogger follower button? I can't find one and Network Blogs seems to require one to share information with facebook = something I don't like doing any more."  

The Networked Blogs and Facebook issue is a vexed one.  I joined Facebook to see what it was like and, for me, it is a way of keeping up with the daily dos of some of my New Zealand friends when I'm in Scotland and vice versa.  I've found, for example, that when the Rugby World Cup matches are being played I can share comments with those of my friends who are also watching.  It's hardly important stuff but it is a way of communicating with people I don't see or speak to very often when I'm on the opposite side of the globe.  I've also been sharing facts and stories about my Prep School with others who went to it.  I joined Networked Blogs originally with my A Hebridean in New Zealand blog simply because other friends in New Zealand had put their blogs on.  Not a compelling reason but there we are and I've met some lovely people as a result.

I'm not, however, an admirer of FB and I don't like their intrusive habits.  But anyone who wants to  find out about me (and frankly I'm not sure who would in my case) can do so quite easily so I've given up caring.

As far as the button to follow this blog is concerned there is one.  In theory it is always there but I know from comments others have made that it can not always be seen.  I can see it and have copied here what I can see in the sidebar.  If you can see the blue 'Join this site' button then you can join as a Google account holder (and, I think, in other circumstances too).  This does not join you to Facebook and Networked Blogs as well.   In fact I've now moved the Networked Blogs widget.  I hope that helps.


3 comments:

  1. I'm having a rest from blogging. If you try to cancel a FB account it will keep you busy for a day or so. Don't try to access it to check or you will be back on..............It is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that several of my sidebar gadgets, including the Followers, have a tendency to come and go as they please. Usually though I just have to 'refresh' the page for them to reappear. As long as they turn up occasionally I've decided for now not to fret about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DawnTreader, this is exactly the same problem as GB was having and which he mentioned in the next post. As GB mentions in that other post there is a "fix" which improves things somewhat although it isn't perfect

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.