1 EAGLETON NOTES: Butterflies

.

.

Monday 26 September 2011

Butterflies

I went for another cycle ride this afternoon.  Just a short one.  It was 42℃ on the terrace at Maumulon this afternoon.  A record high for this time in September over the last 12 years that John has been taking temperatures.  So I cycled down the lane.  Having spent half the day chasing a Red Admiral on the Sedum in the garden I discovered a wild Sedum out in the countryside.  It was covered in bees, hover flies, things I couldn't identify and butterflies: Small Copper (to quote Adrian 'I hope'), Red Admirals and Peacocks in particular.  Having posted a Peacock already here's the other two:

Red Admiral
Small Copper

5 comments:

  1. They are beautiful. The Peacock and the Admiral we have here too (and I have spent hours chasing them around the park!) but the Small Copper I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots.......nothing like a cycle round the countryside guessing.
    It is a Small Copper.......I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plant is hemp agrimony. I have lots in the back garden at Frog End (it spreads quickly) and it's always covered in insects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the commenta and, Helen, for the information. It was sort of pink. So was the last one. They both attract insects. I'm a simple soul. I'll never remember Hemp Agrimony. You can test me next year when I'm down your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I've taken a picture of a red admiral the other day near one of my bedroom windows; it is in my "to be posted on blogger" folder. Don't know why, but somehow it pleases me to find out that we have similar names for butterflies in English and German; the Peacock Butterfly is the "Peacock's Eye" in German.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.