1 EAGLETON NOTES: Rain Rain

.

.

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Rain Rain

There is an old nursery rhyme (come to think of it are there any new nursery rhymes?) which goes:


Rain rain go away,
Come again another day.
Little Johnny wants to play;
Rain, rain, go to Spain,
Never show your face again!

My Mum used to say:

Rain rain go away
Come again on washing day.

I thought of that this morning because I have things to do outside and with the car and it's pouring - yet again. Then I thought how irrelevant both the above are in this day and age.  Little Johnny (in the UK at least) is far more likely to want to play on his computer or watch TV than go and play outside.  Washing day?  This is a concept swept away with modern washing machines, women going out to work, tumble driers and an ethos of wear-it-once which was a luxury few could afford or indeed think of in my childhood.  Now if something is worn for half a day into the wash it goes.  Let Mum (or Dad) deal with it.

Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to have a grudge with lazy youngsters today? Birds AND people! (LOL) I still have washing days as do a lot of people living in small rented flats. On the other hand I do have access to tumble drier and drying cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only learned the first two lines of that rhyme. Thank goodness we have dryers! Although I love the smell and feel of line dried sheets!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.