1 EAGLETON NOTES: Cuckoo

.

.

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Cuckoo

IMGP1088 I have lived on Lewis for 35 years and on and off for all of those years I have heard Cuckoos and Corncrakes: two very elusive birds.  Back in the ‘70s I did glimpse a Cuckoo which used to inhabit the area behind the house we lived in in the township of Coll.  But, despite its constant calling, it was only one glimpse.  I’ve never managed to see a Corncrake.  Chatting to my friend Steve this afternoon on the phone he casually mentioned that he’d been startled by one of his resident Cuckoos banging into the window.  He later managed the above photo of it in a tree in the garden.   How envious am I?

3 comments:

  1. That must be a very unusual event, a cuckoo flying into a window?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've also seen Cuckoos on Harris a couple of times - on telegraph wires but I suppose with you being the driver you didn't get such a good view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw my first NZ Cuckoo recently. It was in the bush AND feeding a young one. I felt thrilled to bits.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.