1 EAGLETON NOTES: A Calm Sea

.

.

Monday 2 June 2008

A Calm Sea

Looking out at the Mainland yesterday the sea was so calm it was difficult to believe. I felt that it would be possible to walk to over the Minch. It would certainly have been calm enough to canoe over. That is to say if one was fit enough.

I saw a picture in the National Gallery a few years ago entitled 'Lake Keitele' by Akseli Gallen-Kallela who is (or, as he's dead, is it 'was') a leading figure in modern Finnish painting. He first worked at Lake Keitele, north of Helsinki, in summer 1904. The scene is so reminiscent of the painting it's almost uncanny. I have to say that my photo's do not do the scene justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.